I take no credit (other than for my own labor) for the deliciousness you are about to witness. Thank you ReadyMade magazine for this incredible, edible recipe for homemade Cheese Its, in all of its greasy, cheesy glory. Just in time to take to a party with some beer and watch some sort of important football game or something that everyone is all excited about today.
How To Make Your Own Cheese It Crackers….
8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
½ stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 t kosher salt
1 c flour
2 T ice water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the cheddar, butter, and salt until soft and combined. Add the flour and mix on low speed (the dough will be dry and pebbly). Slowly add the water and continue to mix as the dough forms a ball.
2. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
4. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a very thin (1/8 inch or less) 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the rectangles into 1-inch squares, then transfer to the baking sheets. Use the tip of a chopstick to punch a hole into the center of each square.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until puffed and browning at the edges. Watch carefully, as the high fat content of the crackers makes it a fine line between golden delicious and burnt. Immediately move the crackers to racks to cool.